Monday, May 17, 2010

Childhood Favorite


Abe and I frequently get on the topic of some of our FAVORITES when we were growing up. This can range from favorite memory, favorite game to play, favorite snack foods to get in our packed lunches, favorite outdoor activities and so forth. We had never talked about favorite childhood books until in my media class I was assigned to do just that. Looking back, there aren't a ton of books that stood out in my mind. Not that I didn't enjoy reading when I was younger, in fact I don't really know why this was such a hard task for me. The one series of books that DID stand out to me, however, is the Berenstain Bears series! I just loved reading these books and looking at all of the pictures. As I contemplated what it was about these books that was so intriguing and entertaining to me as a child, I again hit a brick wall. I honestly think I didn't read the books for any purpose other than just that: entertainment. Looking back I would like to think I read the books because they were so easy to relate to. Here are just a couple of examples: The Messy Room, Too Much TV, Too Much Junk Food, Learn About Strangers, New Baby, Go to School and you get the idea. I love each role the characters play and how even though their family is not necessarily always the ideal family they always work to solve their problems as a family and don't ever give up until the problem is solved. With such great lessons to be learned from these books I'm beginning to think that I should start my collection now for my own future children to read someday.







2 comments:

  1. I like Bernstein Bears. I don't think I've ever seen a book, but I always watched the cartoon on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I love Berenstain Bears! Did you ever read the chapter books when they are supposed to be teenagers? They're pretty hilarious.

    ReplyDelete