Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hospital Sleepover

What started out to be a normal day of work and classes in the morning and afternoon turned out to be a very interesting, inordinate and rather scary evening. Abe started having stomach pains Sunday night, but he was sure that it was just trapped gas that would pass in due time. This morning, however, the pain was actually worse and nothing we did seemed to make it any better. We tried a hot bath, hot cocoa, a hot pad on his stomach and even some gas-ex. When I noticed that he was walking funny and he started complaining that the pain was becoming more intense, I finally was able to convince him that we should probably take him in to have it looked at. Sure enough, acute appendicitis. They sent us over to the ER, did a CAT scan and found that his white blood cell levels were 2-3 higher than they were supposed to be. They took him into surgery and finished the procedure within 25-30 minutes. It wasn't until about an hour and a half later or so when the doctor came to get me to take him upstairs to his room. Here is a glimpse into the world of Abe on drugs:

The first thing he asked me was if they had told me how much everything was going to cost.

When I asked him how he was feeling, his response was "high". He then went on to tell me that they had given him some pretty "sweet stuff".

Although he would make eye contact with me while I talked to him (or at least most of the time) his right eye wouldn't stop wandering.

He must have asked me 10 times what time it was.

When I told him that I was going to stay with him over night, he said, "That's fun! We can have a sleepover in the hospital!"

Before surgery, he asked the surgeon if he could save his appendix so he could look at it. Sure enough the surgeon put it in a bag and showed it to him and Abe wouldn't stop talking about how it was "red and yellow and squishy like cartiledge...but in a bag".

He kept looking at the little monitor he had to wear on his finger. At times he would just stare at it for a long period of time, wiggle it around a little bit or tap it on his leg and then leave it alone...all with a very perplexed look on his face.

When the nurse came in, she said that he would be back up and in school again before he knew it and his response was "boo".

When I went to go step out of his room for one minute, he made sure to inform me that he wasn't going anywhere.

Anyways, you get the gist of it. He was definitely out of it. If I think of any other funny things that were said I will be sure to let you know. But just to show how sweet and wonderful and totally caring he is...

One of the first things he told his family as they came up to visit him was to make sure that I get something to eat because I haven't eaten all day. I explained to him that I had just eaten a sandwich from the cafe and he was satisfied with that answer, or at least for the next 30 min. or so. Since then, he has asked me probably 8 or 9 times if I've eaten anything yet or if there's anything that he can get for me. He even insisted that I put my sweats on that Jake and Nissa SOO kindly brought from home so that I would be more comfy.

After all that he's been through and all of the pain that he's feeling, he's still so concerned for my well-being before his own. What a sweet heart! I feel terrible that this all had to happen to him, but I am so grateful that they were able to catch it before it got any worse. I am so blessed to have him in my life! I have no doubts that he will have a fast and healthy recovery.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha This is so great. My favorite is that he was so excited about the sleepover at the hospital and only a true man asks how much everything is going to cost right after surgery. This reminds me of the time that we had to hook my roommate up to her breathing machine and she was all crazy HAHA

    ReplyDelete