Sunday, February 28, 2010

Up in Flames

Aren't these cupcakes beautiful and yummy looking? We thought so too! Thank you so much Dani for leaving these for me on my birthday! You really are so sweet to remember and make time for the little things :) Abe and I were able to enjoy these delicious cupcakes...or at least a few of them...before going up in flames in our oven. Not wanting them to dry out or go bad, I decided that sticking them in the oven would be the smart thing to do. Well, one night after returning home from our night class in Salt Lake around 11:00, Abe decided that he was hungry and was going to heat up some fish sticks. Him, distracted at the kitchen table with his appetizer of chips and salsa, and me on the phone with my mom, didn't think to check the oven before he began pre-heating it. Suddenly, a sweet smell of cupcakes drifted past me and it took me a while to figure out what was going on. When I looked up and over at the oven, I saw smoke pouring out of all four burners on the stove. I ran over, opened the oven door and discovered that our oven was up in flames. Abe, not knowing what else to do, grabs the pitcher of lemonade on our counter and throws it into the oven, distinguishing the fire and leaving a sticky mess all over the kitchen floor. We immediately threw open the door and windows and began fanning the smoke detectors, praying that the sprinklers wouldn't come on and thankfully they didn't. Once we were sure that the fire was taken care of and we had a moment to look around, we realized there was ash all over our house; it had even made its way to our bathroom and bedroom in the very back of our little apartment. Thankfully the mess was much easier to clean up than either of us expected and we look back at this almost disaster and laugh. I think next time we'll keep the cupcakes in the microwave :)

No comments:

Post a Comment